Clueless newcomer

Kaynil

Hello guys. I joined a little while back invited by Pallando.

I am completely clueless about the past and current games and I am still getting familiar with things.
Another thing I need to get familiar with is the terminology, like the clones and stuff. I am sure as intimidating as it can be I will get the hold of it with as I get involved in the community.

For now my biggest doubt is regarding the clone Realms and Phatasia 4. I can imagine the clone realms part from P4, but are they going parallel or are they a 'tweak' you install on top of the p4 copy? I apologise for the highly ignorant question. I have been trying to read around but I can't figure it out.

It sounds like a very interesting series of projects with a lot of history.
How long has it be going? What's your story? If you already have a thread like that feel free to link me, I am sure you guys probably don't want to be repeating yourself, just know that if you are I am more than happy to listen, haha.

Anyway, do you guys meet at certain times or do you just pretty much do your thing?
Again sorry if I am being ignorant. I am sure in the future I'll reread this thread and feel embarrassed. Hahah.

• Like 2

Hey Kaynil!

Don't worry so much! I'll try to provide some clarity for you, although you've hit the nail on the head already.

Phantasia4 is the vanilla/original game, and the Clone games are derived from the original Phantasia4 sourcecode. When Phantasia4 came onto the scene it was difficult. (Comparable to D&D 3.5... low hp receiving moderate damage) The game updates since then have made it less painful for players, and makes all the classes more playable.

The clone realms are the product of some of the best players in the vanilla game putting their spin on it to make it more interesting, more interactive, more better. I have only been able to get Realm of Warriors to work so far, and it is a very different experience from the original. It offers new classes with better stats and actions to perform in combat. It also encourages PvP by adding a Good and Evil character alignment. The game version reminds me of the hellish experience from my teenage years, and I have yet to stake a character's tombstone into the scoreboard. It also lacks any and all game information (WHY!), but it is interesting to discover the differences as I go along.

My story in fortune cookie sized nutshells.

Began playing in 2000 when I was 12. Played consistently for 4 years, returning after that occasionally for old times sake.----- Always getting my butt handed to me.
Returned last year to seek redemption. Managed to do what I dreamed of as a 12 year old and achieved a constant state of happiness close to Nirvana. = )

Organized play should be a thing. It's random right now. I play mornings lately and Mon-Fri there is occasionally 1 other person on during that time.

Don't be sorry Kaynil. If anyone were to get offended, it's because of them and not you. I'd write more, but this actually took me 40 minutes to type up. I nitpick my writing and I have to go bed now.

• Administrator

Phantasia started as a mud @Kaynil in the 80s a mud that players couldnt interact with each other as it was installed to a single machine. It was upgraded in the 99 era and given a java applet and recoded into a mmorpg of sort. With anyone online together working at their own pace. Individual yet connected.